The Federation of BC Writers accepts submissions for its magazine, WordWorks, and also runs contests throughout the year.
Contests We run contests periodically throughout the year. We have just opened to 2018 BC Short! Check the guidelines and consider entering.
There are no submission fees when submitting to the magazine. We are always looking for articles discussing the craft or business of writing, and welcome both queries and completed articles. You do not need to be a member to submit, but non-members will receive a membership to the FBCW as partial payment. Payment has been increased to .25/word. WordWorks also considers submissions of all other types of writing, but those are very selectively published. We pay $50/poem, $25/image, and .25/word for other published submissions. A standard contract is required for insurance reasons before publication and payment. Please read previous issues to get an idea of what kinds of writing we are likely to consider. If you have any questions, please let us know, or visit our website to learn more.
Get writing! We're looking forward to your submission. If you have any questions, please contact us by clicking on this link: contact us
Submissions are open for a new short fiction contest that will showcase British Columbia writing talent.
Award-winning novelist Eileen Cook will be the judge of the inaugural 2018 BC Short.
Sponsored by the Federation of British Columbia Writers, the BC Short will debut in 2018, a competition for original, unpublished short stories. The word length is between 1,200 and 2,000 words. (No children’s fiction.) Stories must be written in English.
First prize is $350.
The entry fee is $15. Members of the FBCW pay only $10 to enter.
Entrants should use Submittable to submit their entries.
The name of the entrant must not appear anywhere on the entry itself.
Work must be original and not previously published.
Submissions must be in MS Word, PDF or RTF format, in Times New Roman 12 Point font.
Electronic submissions only.
The deadline for submissions is June 1, 2018.
Winners will be announced on July 30, 2018.
The winning entry will be published in WordWorks, the magazine of the Federation of BC Writers.
Board members of the FBCW and their immediate family are not eligible to enter.
“The Federation of British Columbia Writers is deeply committed to supporting and inspiring writers around this province,” said FBCW president Ann Graham Walker. “This inaugural BC Short contest represents recognition of the great reserves of fiction talent here in BC. We’re keeping the entry fees affordable, and we’re hoping to see a lot of participation.”
Novelist Eileen Cook has been named the judge of the inaugural BC Short.
“We’re thrilled to have Eileen as the judge for this year’s contest,” said organizer Cynthia Sharp, a Vancouver writer on the board of the FBCW. “Her work is wonderful, and her eye for story is impeccable.”
Eileen is a multi-published author with novels in eight languages. Her books have been optioned for film and TV.
They include With Malice, Remember, Year of Mistaken Discoveries, The Almost Truth, Used to Be and Do or Di.
She is a popular speaker at conferences both in the US and in Canada, provides writing/editorial coaching, and is a mentor/instructor for the Simon Fraser University The Writer’s Studio, The Write Potential and The Creative Academy.
Visit bcwriters.ca for more information about the Federation of British Columbia Writers.
WordWorks is published quarterly for members of the Federation of BC Writers and distributed by mail and email to a broad list of readers interested in literature in BC. It is also sent to schools, libraries, and other organizations in the province. Content is often provided by members of the Federation of BC Writers, but non-members are encouraged to submit. If you would like to submit something, or if you have a story idea you would like to see included in WordWorks, contact Editor Shaleeta Harrison. We are currently searching for submissions of articles and art. See dates and themes below.
Submission Guidelines for written submissions
- Unless otherwise specified, between 600 and 2000 words for prose submissions.
- Unless otherwise specified up to 60 lines (including title) for poetry, up to three poems in a single submission.
- Please use standard professional formatting.
- We pay for published submissions. Current rates are .25/word for prose submissions, $50 per poem, $100 per cover art, and $25.00 per interior image. These rates are subject to change without notice. Articles that require extensive editorial work or mentoring may be paid at lower rates–this will be discussed and agreed upon with the writer before publication.
- We are willing to accept reprints, but will not pay full rates to such submissions.
- Simultaneous submissions are acceptable, please just let us know immediately if another journal accepts it for publication. We will not be able to pay full rates if it has already been published.
We are also interested in cover art
- High-quality large submissions of paintings, photography, sketches, or multimedia are considered
- Please send a 5mb or less version of the artwork as a query–if shortlisted, we will ask for a larger version
- All published covers will be paid. If you have any questions, please email firstname.lastname@example.org
To get an idea of the kind of material we run, visit the WordWorks archives and have a look through some back issues.
Coming Schedule and Themes
(these dates and themes are subject to change without notice)
Files to Printer – December 29th
Release date from mail house – January 15th
Files to Printer – March 29th
Approx. Release date from mail house – April 15th