The Federation of BC Writers offers many opportunities and resources to BC and Yukon writers. In addition to our robust online event programming, we publish WordWorks Magazine three times per year and hold annual contests in poetry, flash fiction, short story, and creative non-fiction.
Please see our current opportunities below.
Contact us at email@example.com.
Contest Rules and Submission Information
- All submissions must be made online through Submittable.
- The name of the entrant must not appear anywhere on the entry document. Entrants that do not meet this crucial criteria will not be submitted to readers for evaluation. (Please double check file names and headers/footers)
- While the contest is called the Literary contests, we welcome and encourage submissions across all genres and styles.
- Work must be original and not previously published.
- Entrants are asked to be cognizant of cultural appropriation. An article outlining best practices can be found here
- Submissions only accepted in DOC, DOCX, PDF, or RTF format.
- Please use a simple, readable font such as Times New Roman or Arial at 12pt.
- Staff and Board members of the FBCW and their immediate families are not eligible to enter.
- Word counts will be verified using Microsoft Word.
- Entries must be submitted in English.
- There is no theme.
- Titles are not included in the word or line count.
- One piece per entry.
- You can submit as many entries as you wish.
There are four categories:
- Flash Fiction (500 words max)
- Short Fiction (3500 words max)
- Creative Non-Fiction (1500 words max)
- Poetry (30 lines max)
Last year, we received an unprecedented volume of submissions. To ensure we can be genuine and accountable, we will post a timeline for announcements on this page in mid September so that entrants can know when to expect results. Announcements will be made in our newsletter and social media.
Announcements will be:
- Announcement Schedule
- Long List
- Short List
- Winners and Second Place
- $15 for Federation of British Columbia Writers members
- $25 for non-members
The first place winner in each of the 4 categories will receive the following:
- a $350 cash prize (includes publication compensation)
- a one-year, free membership to the Federation of BC Writers
- an interview in WordWorks magazine (print and online)
- Reading and Interview at 2023 Gala
- Publishing in our second Contest Anthology
- 10 copies of the anthology.
The short-listed writers in each of the 4 categories will receive the following:
- a $35 cash prize (includes publication compensation)
- Recognition on social media
- Publishing in our Contest Anthology
- 3 copies of the anthology.
* All published persons in this project will be able to order additional copies at cost.
The deadline for submissions is 11:59 pm PST on August 31, 2022.
Email us at firstname.lastname@example.org.