WordWorks is published three times a year for members of the Federation of BC Writers and distributed by mail and email to a broad list of readers interested in literature in BC. It is also sent to schools, libraries, and other organizations in the province. Content is provided by members of the Federation of BC Writers, but non-members are encouraged to submit. (We will subtract the membership fee from your payment.) We are a publication by and for the BC writing community. Unless there is a compelling reason, we do not publish works by writers living outside of BC -- except that we do invite Yukon writers. Contact: Editor Ursula Vaira.
Submission Guidelines for written submissions
- Unless otherwise specified, between 600 and 2000 words for articles.
- Unless otherwise specified up to 60 lines (including title) for poetry, up to three poems in a single submission.
- Please use standard professional formatting.
- We pay for published submissions. Current rates are $0.25 a word for an article, and $50 for a reprint, creative prose piece or poem, $100 per cover art, and $25 per interior image. These rates are subject to change without notice. Articles that require extensive editorial work or mentoring may be paid at lower rates–this will be discussed and agreed upon with the writer before publication.
- Simultaneous submissions are acceptable, please just let us know immediately if another journal accepts it for publication. We will not be able to pay full rates if it has already been published.
We are also interested in cover art
- High-quality large submissions of paintings, photography, sketches, or multimedia are considered
- Please send a 5mb or less version of the artwork as a query–if shortlisted, we will ask for a larger version
- All published covers will be paid. If you have any questions, please email email@example.com
To get an idea of the kind of material we run, visit the WordWorks archives and have a look through some back issues.
How long will it take to get an answer?
We do our best to answer quickly, but we could take as long as 90 days to respond with a firm answer. If you haven't heard by then, we welcome you to send a follow-up message to us.